Monday 25 August 2014

Week 22 - Mac & Cheese

A vegetarian recipe blog without a Mac & Cheese would be like a house without a toilet.......you know, the obvious thing missing?  Anyway fear not, the blog house I'm building now has a toilet so I'm ready to start having parties.

Maybe not the best analogy of my life, but Mac & Cheese it is.

I don't really have a recipe I follow for Mac & Cheese, it's an old favourite that I just sort of make up as I go.  Luckily I have just made up a recipe as I go.  It's an awesome dish, but not something I like to eat regularly as it's not the healthiest.

Classic
Recipe 
  • ·         Cook 150g (ish) of Macaroni in salted water.
  • ·         Melt two dessert spoons of butter on a high heat, mix in two dessert spoons of flour to make thick paste.
  • ·         Remove from heat and gradually stir / whisk in ½ pint of so of 1% milk
  • ·         Once smooth sauce is formed, bring to the boil and throw in a handful of grated *cheddar and about 1/3 handful of parmesan.  Stir until all cheese melted and you have a thick cheesy sauce.  Add salt and black pepper…….Maybe add a bit of chopped parsley or onion and fried garlic for a new taste?
  • ·         Drain pasta and mix with sauce in a 2L Oven Proof Bowl, top with a pinch more cheese, salt and pepper.
  • ·         Bake on 400F for 20mins.
  • ·         Finish off under grill to brown top.
  • ·         Leave dish to stand 10mins before serving.
  • ·         Serve with a dash or two of Malt Vinegar (Trust me)
  • ·         Eat

*I often throw in any other left over cheese and reduce cheddar accordingly.

RatingTaste - 15/20
Cost - 6/10
Difficulty - 4/10
Prep Time - 6/10 
Overall 62%


No comments:

Post a Comment