Sunday 10 August 2014

Week 20 - Caponata

So one of my numerous blog fans sent me a recipe to try.  Well infact he sent me two recipes to try and this is the first of them.  A Caponata.

The Caponata would not score well for aesthetics!

"What is a Caponata?" I hear you ask.  Well to be honest I didn't know either, well no more than the 'sweet and sour aubergine dish' description on the recipe!  

So to save you the trouble of asking google, I have done it for you:
Caponata is a Sicilian aubergine (eggplant) dish consisting of a cooked vegetable salad made from chopped fried eggplant and celery seasoned with sweetened vinegar, with capers in a sweet and sour sauce.
Numerous local variations of the ingredients exist with some versions adding olives, carrots and green bell peppers, and others adding potatoes, or pine nuts and raisins.
Caponata is typically used as a side dish for fish dishes and sometimes as an appetizer, it has also been used as a main course.

Luckily for the Caponata I have no rating for aesthetics as it wouldn't do too well, but on the other scores the Caponata held it's own, the only negative I have is that it doesn't work too well as a main dish; keep it to the side as google suggests!

Rating
Taste - 13/20
Cost - 7/10
Difficulty - 6/10
Prep Time - 6/10 
Overall 64%



No comments:

Post a Comment