Sunday 11 January 2015

Week 34 -35 - Falafel

The amount of time it has taken me to feature falafel in this blog is not a reflection of how much I like it, I love it.  It was one of the veggie foods I had discovered long before doing my year meat free; I would almost live off falafel at the Glastonbury Festival every time I went!

But I've never had too much success making my own falafel.  It tasted fine, but I could never get a good firm falafel ball or patty.  So when I found this recipe, I was intrigued.  

Balls

I had previously always tried making falafel with chickpeas; by mashing, processing, blending them etc.  So when I saw a recipe using Chickpea flour (or Garbanzo Bean Flour in the US), I had to give it a go.

I continued reading the same website, when a couple of minutes later I discovered this, a falafel pie!!  Now, I love a pie and I live falafel......I had struck gold here.

I'm pleased to report the chickpea flour made the recipe simple to make and texture and taste were good, however I found the falafel a bit dry.

Falafel Pie.  If it was as good as it sounded there would be a global Chickpea shortage!  (it's still really good though)
The pie was a bit disappointing.  On a global scale it was good, really good; I had just hoped for so much more........

So my Rating (for the falafel pie):
Taste - 17/20
Cost - 6/10
Difficulty - 6/10
Prep Time - 4/10 
Overall 66%


No comments:

Post a Comment