Sunday 16 March 2014

Week 11 - Tofu Thai Curry

I am sad to report that I don't really have a recipe for this weeks meal!  I just bought a jar of Thai Green Curry paste and followed the instructions on the jar (substituting Tofu for chicken).  

What I have found is a recipe for Thai Green Curry paste which sounds immense, I think I'll be giving that a go at some point this year.

The point of this blog; I thought worth mentioning was how to cook Tofu.  As a Tofu novice, I assumed you just throw Tofu in your dish and eat it.  I've tried that, and it was not good.  Infact, it was bad.  So bad that it almost put me off Tofu completely.  What the Tofu packaging doesn't tell you is how to get it tasting good; so here are my top tips for any fellow novice veggies:

How to Cook with Tofu
Tofu out of the packet does not taste good.  Fact.  It is curd made from mashed soybeans so that makes sense.  There are two simple steps to making Tofu taste delicious.

1 Press the Tofu
Tofu is saturated with water, it is packed in water when you buy it.... to keep it fresh I assume.  Anyway, to make room for flavours in the Tofu you need to remove that water and this is why you press it.   I have found cutting it into slices, placing it in kitchen towel and placing a heavy object on it for an hour does the trick, but I am by no means an expert.

2 Marinate the Tofu
Now you have pressed your Tofu, you need to get some flavour in their.  The best way to do this is to marinate it, give the Tofu time to absorb the flavours you are feeding it.  Just avoid oil in your marinate as that doesn't work so well with water based Tofu!


Cook it properly and it's OK!




Rating
Taste - 12/20
Cost - 6/10
Difficulty - 6/10
Prep Time - 4/10 
Overall 56%

No comments:

Post a Comment